DIY Wine Tour in Pic St Loup

Last time I took you to Pic St Loup it was to climb it, this time we’re  tasting it.  Pic St Loup is not only gorgeous but it’s also one of the best wine areas in the Languedoc region and, as it’s a hop and skip away from Montpellier, it’s the perfect getaway from the city.

Wine tours are brilliant things. You learn a bit, drink a lot and you leave feeling merry yet terribly cultured.  I particularly love  it when you pop to a restaurant or supermarket afterwards and spot a wine you know and can say ooh yes, I’ve been there, lovely lady, cute dog, oh yes I’ll have that one.

wine region france

Doing an organised wine tour in Pic St Loup costs around £90 per person. It’s not cheap but it does mean you don’t have to lumber someone with designated driver aka spitter status, plus you don’t get lost and end up driving to the vineyard that closes at 5 but maybe 3pm on Wednesdays/doesn’t open at all on Mondays.

We decided, because we’re now locals of course, to take matters into our own hands and just do our own wine tour and spend the money on actually buying the wine. Armed with a map on the ipad, a car and friends, we went with the intention of trying and buying local wines for the wedding.  Our designated driver tasted every wine but swallowed none, while the rest of us tasted and then swallowed everything.  (Thanks mate. We (he) will totally drive next time, promise…)

Our first stop at a cave with multiple local wines was an easy way into trying a variety of wines from the region.  They were nice, but we weren’t blown away by any of them and the cave was more of a local wine shop where they’d quite happily let you try what you like, so that was a fun intro, but not exactly what we came for.

wine tasting one

The next stop was far more eventful.

Picking another red dot on our map we made our way through some villages and past the vineyards till we reached what looked like a turning with a driveway.  As we approached what looked like a wine-type place, you know all stone-y and chateau-y, a very loud bark revealed a dog the size of a small horse galloping towards the car, jowls and saliva flying in all directions.   Trying to manoeuvre around the beast we turned towards where some arrows in the ground were pointing, into what quickly stopped being driveway and became more of an abandoned building yard. Except it wasn’t abandoned, a man with a chainsaw was walking towards us looking angry. Or confused. It’s hard to tell when you’re sitting in a car stuck between a rabid animal and a chainsaw-weilding man.

As he got closer to the car the boys lowered their window and muttered something about following arrows and wanting to try wine.  The man explained the arrows weren’t for us (duh) but, while waving his weapon around, explained we needed to go back towards the dog and go a bit further before parking in there. And he’ll be right with us.  Excellent.

Eventually finding the right entrance and getting out of of the car we found ourselves outside a beautiful house, complete with an excellent darkly lit wine cave. The man, minus weapon, gave us several very good wines to try, telling the stories behind the names such as Jamais Content (Never Satisfied – the winemaker was a perfectionist) and we took home several bottles of the stuff.  Jono even had a cuddle with horse-dog, who turned out to be a giant softie.

wine cave tour

Sipping wine

jono with dog

After the events of the morning, we realised it was well into lunchtime and if we didn’t find something fast we’d lose our chance. French restaurants wait for no one.  So we returned to what seems like the only restaurant around for miles and enjoyed a very French, very slow lunch. I insisted Jono got a café gourmand.  He got the café. I got the gourmand. Relationships rock.

cafe gourmand

Taking to the road again, this time we found a little village with cats instead of giant dogs.  A lady with a heavy southern French accent greeted us at a small cave where we tried plenty more wines including a lovely light red . I’m not going to start pretending to be a wine connoisseur here, don’t worry. By this point the wines had started all merging into one and my already unsophisticated palette was a bit wined out.

wine tour france

Finally though, we stumbled upon the ugliest, least romantic of all the wineries, which also just happened to have the best wine. The large cold warehouse filled with giant barrels was impersonal but after a half an hour wait to see someone we finally tried a wine which was special. Domaine De L’Hortus Grande Cuvée blanc was everything we wanted in a wine and more.  We bought one bottle, carried it round Germany and Poland and then popped it open in Bratislava, where it was even better than we remembered.

wine tour france

So did we find our wedding wine?  Well no.  While the final wine was quite possibly the best white wine we’ve ever had, it was also one of the priciest, so we’ll probably just  buy ourselves another bottle or two and save it for a special day.  Next time, we’re hoping to do a little wine tasting in Montpellier itself, so designated driver can swallow.

We visited: Mortiès;  Chateau de la Mocheres;  Domaine de l’hortus; Restaurant: Les Laurieres, St Mathieu-de-Treviers.

Have you ever done a guided or DIY wine tour?

Travel Tuesday

28 Responses to DIY Wine Tour in Pic St Loup

1. Sounds like quite the adventure! I love the changes you made to your site design, as well – it’s adorable!

• anna says:

Oh it was and thank you Caroline! I’m just teaching myself the ropes when it comes to site design and still working on it so it’s lovely to get a compliment :) Thanks x

2. kaelene10 says:

Wine tasting is one of my favorite things to do and this trip looks like so much fun!

• anna says:

Me too! It really was lots of fun and I’d love to do more in different parts of France. SO many things to try!

3. Hello from fellow expat in southern France! I’ve just found your blog through #TravelTuesday (mine’s N°12). We’re so lucky to be surrounded by so much good wine around here aren’t we? We’re also very close to Ligurain wines which are delicious too.

• anna says:

Hello fellow expat! That’s what I love about Travel Tuesday and certain blog hops, you get to find people who are just up the road, sort of. So so lucky. Spoilt for choice really.

4. lulu4film says:

I really enjoyed this post as it’s something I would love to do ‘sans enfants’, obviously! That dog is massive, what breed was it?!

• anna says:

Horse. No I’m not really sure to be honest! Yes, definitely a sans enfants kind of thing, they’d be so bored bless them.

5. Mar Ward says:

I would love to do a wine tour in France. We live close to the Niagara Wine region in Canada and while it is beautiful and produces some great wines, it doesn’t come close to the pictures you shared.
    Stoppping by to say hello from Travel Tuesday! Have a good week :)

• anna says:

Really? That sounds like it’d be beautiful. That’s definitely one for the list when we’re over that side of the world, which may be quite soon! Thanks for popping by. I will come and say hi!

6. Daisy says:

Sounds like a fun wine trip!!!!

7. Sammy Dorn says:

This looks so fun! I am loving your new design by the way. I have never done a wine tour and I actually don’t know why. I love wine and think something like this would be right up my alley, it’s one of my goals this year!

• anna says:

Thank you Sammy. It’s something I only started doing last year and I love it. It’s such a fun day out.

8. You can’t very well live in France and NOT go on a wine tour at some point, can you? The next time we’re in France, and not in Paris, I’d like to do something like this, but an organized one. Neither Cory or I would want to take one for the team and be DD. ;o)

• anna says:

I think an organised one would be great and especially as they’ll do it in English! Most of the people there were very local, which was lovely but doesn’t tell people much about the wine if you don’t speak their language. I’d love to do more tours around Northern France as well – I just don’t know if we’ll get the time…

9. Great post! I did a couple of cycling wine tours back home in New Zealand – those are a LOT of fun! Love the new design too :)

• anna says:

Thank you Jessi. Oh we really wanted to do the cycling wine tours! We went on a fab one by van in Hawkes Bay but the cycling one sounds awesome. Next time!!

10. Bill Facker says:

Beautiful “shots” on this posting as well as a great story line that continues with your search for the ever elusive “Wedding Wine”. Superb!

11. ellacoquine says:

DIY wine tour! They’re the best! We did this when we went to Champagne in the fall. We didn’t want to pay for each tour so we went to the smaller village a wee outside of Reims and visited smaller producers for free. It’s a much more hearty experience, don’t you think?

It looks like you had a great time! Too bad you didn’t find your wedding wine…you may just have to go on another DIY wine tour! Good luck with the planning. How exciting!

• anna says:

Yes I agree! I just can’t quite justify paying that much (and not even getting a bottle or five to take home) I would love to do a DIY tour in Champagne. It’s one of the many things we have on our to-do-in-france list, but just haven’t quite gotten around to quite yet.

12. I love this! I am hoping to do something similar with my sister who works as a sommelier. I love wine and would love to just travel around to wineries around the world. Glad you had a great experience! x

• anna says:

Oh you have a sommelier in your family? Yes, definitely one to do! I think it really introduces you to the character of a place and its people as well if it’s a wine-growing region like France or Italy or in New Zealand too, it was a brilliant experience.

13. Kate says:

First of all, I love your new look! Second of all, DIY wine? I am sold.

• anna says:

Well that’s a huge compliment coming from you lady ;) And yes, it’s a winner. Go do some Reisling trying in Germany. I love Reisling.

14. Bill Facker says:

Anna, you are a real writer! Aloha, Bill

15. Sara Louise says:

The wine, oh the wine! God I love France!
    P.S. I really want that dog